Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Monday April 9, 2012 Class - Google Places

Monday we talked about using Google Places to advertise a business. This service replaced the yellow pages by allowing people to use google to search for local businesses.

See chart below on how Google Places in Red overtook Yellow Pages in Blue over a six year period.


I used my Hannibal Group account (my appraisal business) to show how it works.

I pay to have my ad show when people search for appraisal services, using certain keywords. Currently I have a limit of $50 per month and I am willing to pay up to about $2.50 every time someone clicks on my link. I do not pay for the ad showing, only when someone clicks on it.  The key is to make sure you have chosen the best keywords and are willing to pay enough to have your ad show up on the first page of the map results.

There are many small businesses that need this service and would be willing to pay someone, if you can show them how they can make additional income by using this service.

Also, I showed how I tract results from my ads by having people who visit my site, request a copy of an old appraisal and provide their email address. I use formsite.com. I am able to see when each click from my ad is made and match those clicks with people who request an appraisal. Of course, not everyone who clicks my ad, requests a copy of an appraisal. But a percentage does.

I keep those emails for future marketing while matching them with orders that come into the office. In class, I showed two orders in the past 6 months, that generated $3,000 in sales, while Google Places cost me about $40 per month. I use billingboss.com to tract the invoices. So for the cost of $240,  I can confirm at least $3,000 in orders. However, most people just call me direct and do not click the ad. I know this because I ask people when they call, how did they find me and 99% say, google.

1 comment:

  1. I really did not know that is some of how Google made their money, if one can find an inexpensive way to run their business with the constantly evolving technology then maybe there is hope for the future of the economy if society as a whole has a paradigm shift about how to handle the finances of business.

    ReplyDelete