Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kenneth C. Harris, II

 A World Made of Glass

In one of our earlier classes Professor Sistrunk had made an observation on the technological 
advancement from when computers filled a room to how they are as small as a smart-phone. We laughed about how our parents generation somewhat struggled with the huge leap that technology took. My grandfather would be 92 this year. I can only imagine him with a iPhone 4s, confused at how a small machine could interactively communicate with him. It also made me wonder what technology would have my generation baffled when we entered our 60s and 70s, let alone our 90s. Here is a video by Corning that, as a 20 year old, baffled me. 


I then saw this next video which explained what was possible today and what is being worked on now. 



I was amazed at how a piece of glass as small as our modern day iPhone could control a whole house. It then expands outdoors and even into your vehicle. 

On another note, with this semester coming to an end, it is only appropriate that I share this short testimony. On May 1, 2012 my truck was broken into. They stole everything from my bookbag with my laptop in it to my bass guitar. They even stole my iPhone car charger. After filing a police report, I contacted all my teachers to inform them of the recent tragedy. When I contacted Professor Sistrunk, his response was, "There's nothing to worry about if you have insurance and the "Cloud" I told you guys about in class." I sat there feeling completely stupid at the fact that I had not taken advantage of those pieces of information he had given to me on cloud computing. I was so comfortable with having my computer backed up on an external that it would have been troubling to sign up onto another Cloud besides the one that Apple already provided. Now I realize how useful and important it would have been. I now appreciate the advice and plan to utilize the online storage in the future. I now have an account on www.box.net. If you guys have yet to do so, get one!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the "A Day Made Of Glass" about a year ago. I must say that i was thoroughly impressed. Its amazing to see how this technology can impact our lives. Ive notice over the years this type of technology being used in Hollywood movies. Its great to see that all of there work wasn't fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently my computer and phone were stolen as well. I erased all data on my phone using the MobileMe service. Yet I was concerned about work and files I had on my computer. It wasn't until a day ago I realized I had backed up all important files in a cloud computing service box"

    ReplyDelete