Friday, March 30, 2012

For the love of money, I save!

Growing up my day usually involved going to school around 8, I attended a Magnet School so I got out around 3:40; I then went to my grandmother's, because she picked my sister and I up from school; and my mother would pick us up around 5:15 - 5:30 and 9 times out of ten our next stop would be the grocery store. I couldn't stand shopping with my mom, primarily because she would go in with a list and had everything on her list and more. She never could be like my dad and just go in for the things she needed and be done. I never could understand why my mom would buy so many things until I came to Atlanta for school and then moved off campus.

Needless to say, grocery shopping has never been my favorite pastime, cup of tea, or welcomed errand. However, I can honestly say I now know why my mom shopped for what she needed, and then some. My mother is not cheap, but my mother shops on deal in in order to save money. 

A couple of years ago I was watching a new show on TLC on couponing and I saw how mothers, who do most of the shopping in the household, would find deals in the paper and shop using coupons. I thought it was absurd, ludicrous how these women would spend do much time in the store to save dollars, but I have  come to realize how effective it is.

However, I don't get the Sunday papers here in Atlanta like my parents do back home, nor do I see coupon books in grocery stores anymore. In an effort to save money, my mother gave me her secret on getting deals and conserving bucks, moneysavingmom.com.

If you're wondering if I use it, yes I do. Indeed a rather bold thing to say, but the amounts of dollars I save makes for a bolder wallet. If there is anything we have learned in this class, it is the ability to play the system. I shop on deal for a lot of things, such as clothing, apparel, electronics (I.e. zappos.comdsw.com,overstock.com), books (Chegg.comamazon.com, even eBay.com), etc. 

Not only do I shop on deal from sites such as groupon.comslickdeals.com I subscribe to the company itself.

Moneysavingmom.com is beyond effective, in that what people pay a lot for I pay minimal, and I don't go hungry nor do I need for household products and toiletries; and I have bucks saved.

The ability to save dollars has been my fascination with this class. It is a welcomed lesson, it helps me get the things I want at a cheaper price as well as staying out of stores for long periods of time.


Thanks,

Bryant X. Phelps
Student, MIS 12:15pm MW

5 comments:

  1. This was a very informative post. I have been thinking about coupon clipping and truly budget shopping for some time now. I will look to use this website in the future as I start making transitions to living off campus, I feel this will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great ways to save and get the most for your dollar. You may be interested in scoutmob.com for half off deals in your local area. This website eliminates needing paper. Once you download the app, you are able to take it to the places that accepts it and all you have to do is simply show the worker your phone to receive the discount. Since the discount has an expiration date and is on your phone you can use the discount as many times as you'd like until the expiration date arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post to be interesting because I look online at Kroger and Publix to look for deals on things that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog was very informative because I shop at kroger every week for groceries an I found alot of deals on there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to this post, especially dealing with mothers who love to grocery shop. My mother goes to the grocery store with the intent to buy one thing and end up leaving with the whole store because of the many deals that she loves to take advantage of. I've never thought about coupon clipping, but being on a college student budget, it has definitely influenced me into looking.

    ReplyDelete